The 20-Something's Chronicles of an LA Life

Sneak a peek into the life of a single, 20-something female who is not in the entertainment industry and who does not have fake breasts. Yes, we do exist. What you are about to read is based on fact and is not for the weak of stomach. You have been warned.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Beantown Is My Oyster

I had to fly out to Boston this past weekend to accept an award on behalf of my firm. What I thought was going to be a quick get-in get-out vanilla trip actually turned to anything but.

Perhaps it was the New Moon or the fact that it was the first day of fall. But something was definitely out of sorts. (Perhaps it was my new shampoo - Herbal Essences - you've seen the commercials.)

My flight was delayed out of LAX for about 4 hours. No bueno, if you ask me. But, I took advantage of it and slurped down a bloody Mary (maybe two) and watched some college football. Now I thought I looked like ass that particular morning (waking up at 5am on a Saturday can do that to a girl). Jeans, pigtails and a boring top – but, apparently I had some sort of mojo working because in that four-hour period, dudes were coming out of the woodwork - buying me drinks, striking up conversations – it was like a single’s bar but I was the only chick there. Rad. Love them odds.

Just prior to boarding, an extremely handsome guy approached me and started up a conversation. Somehow, within a few minutes of talking we got on the subject of yoga, and the next thing I know, he says, “I can put my legs behind my ears.”

Check please.

He invited me to sit with him on the plane, but, I was in first class and he was in coach, so, I told him I’d come and visit with him. But I didn’t. I was tired and enjoying the almost-full reclining abilities.

When we got to Boston (4 hours late of course), I went to the baggage claim to pick up my tiny 2-lb bag (but I had to check it because I can’t travel without my hairgel). The bags went round and round and round and round. I just stood there, hopelessly expecting my bag to come out of the fry-guyesque hanging door things on the carousel. No go. As I stood there, just staring, legs-behind-the-ears guy approached me again. Even though I had stood him up on the flight, he stayed with me until I filed my claim.

I was told by the baggage peeps that I would have to wait until 1-2am to get my bag. Freakin’ great. The awards breakfast was an hour away in Newport, Rhode Island and started at 9am. Fabulous. Score one for United Airlines losing my bag on a direct, 4-hour delayed flight.

Luckily, the hottie contortionist was still there with me and asked me to join him and his friends for dinner to waste some time before I had to pick up my “delayed” bag. Of course I accepted the invite. (THE GUY CAN PUT HIS LEGS BEHIND HIS EARS AND HE’S HOT.) So dinner turned to pool at a billiards hall to late night chow at IHOP. FINALLY, my bag was ready and I could pick it up – oh, but it was now 4am.

Off I went to pick up the bag and trek high on caffeine to Newport (safety first folks). I got to my hotel at almost 7am – just in time to shower, change and book it to the awards ceremony. No sleepy for Rachel. But thank god I did receive the bag, otherwise, I would have had to sport smoky, sweaty garb to the very nice awards brunch. That would have been sweet. Great for business.

I thanked our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and the Westside homies when I accepted the award and off I went.

I trudged back to Boston after the ceremony to check out a building that we designed (and won the award). Halfway there, Mr. Contortionist called me and asked if I wanted to meet for a late lunch in Beantown before my scheduled flight. Hell, why not? I hadn’t slept in 31 hours – bring it.

Long story short (ha ha) and sans details - after the awards brunch (and yes, prior to the call from Mr. C), I decided to stay in Boston an extra night and have dinner with an associate architect there (actual business my friends). He ended up bailing, so I stayed and hung with Mr. C and his friends again and got an hour of sleep before my 6:30am flight back to LA, WHICH was also delayed but came complete with my bag. Bonus.

I had received advice from eatinfrontofyou (my occasional guest blogger) prior to my trip to go to Boston, have a great time, rock it with no strings, and book it back. So I did. And it felt great (minus the exhaustion). I took off without giving Mr. C my phone number, figuring we’d always have Boston. It was empowering. It was ego-boosting.

It bombed.

He “tracked me down” yesterday and called - so much for anonymity. Don’t worry, I’m not going to be totally closed-minded – if he wanted to and spent the time to track me down, perhaps it’s worth keeping in contact. Right?

In any case, it was an interesting experiment. Perhaps there is quite a bit of validity behind the idea that when a woman knows what she wants, there is a vibe that is emitted – a don’t-try-to-resist-me-come-hither vibe – a vibe of confidence that men find terribly attractive. Now, this isn’t to say that I need to make it a part of my normal routine to semi-anonymously conquer and roll, but, perhaps I do need to understand exactly what it is that I want, be confident in that desire, and let it work its way into my life. And enjoy all the steps leading to it.

Amazing how so much reflection and adventure could come out of a nightmare, 27-hour cross-country business trip.

I need sleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home